Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Yes, this is a real type of grilled cheese and yes it is amazing! I had been eyeing the Caprese Grilled Cheese for a very long time. My only hesitation with making it was I wanted to make my own pesto for the meal which seemed very time consuming. However, the extra time I took to make the pesto was worth it. Pesto = heaven in my mouth. lol. Past the pesto ordeal the meal is super easy to make and it was an amazing grilled cheese. I think if I were to make it again I’d switch up the bread and use regular bread. In my head french bread made sense and while it was good I think regular bread would also have been fine as well. If you love pesto and you love Caprese you will LOVE this meal!
This recipe was taken from Closet Cooking
Let’s first start with the pesto recipe I used
1 cup basil (packed)
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
3 tablespoons olive oil
lemon juice to taste (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place everything into a food processor and blend.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, room temperature, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large ripe tomato, room temperature, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Brush the outside of each slice of bread with oil, spread the pesto on the inside, place the mozzarella on the pesto on of one slice of bread, top with the tomato, season with salt and pepper and finally top the other slice of bread pesto side in.
- Add the sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
My homemade pesto
Adding the fresh mozzarella
Before getting cooked