So Chad loves the chick-fil-a nuggets and I decided to give them another go this week only this time trying a different recipe I found online. The main difference is this new recipe says the secret chick-fil-a ingredient is pickle juice. So I gave it a whirl and even marinated the nuggets in milk and an egg for 2 hours like the recipe suggests. Still super easy to make but I think the first recipe found here https://attempting2cook.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/chick-fil-a-nuggets/ tasted more like chick-fil-a nuggets. These weren’t bad tasting they just didn’t taste like chick-fil-a. I also tried making my own honey mustard bbq sauce like chick-fil-a has and it turned out ok. I kinda just made it up so it wasn’t phenomenal. Anyways, here is the new chick-fil-a recipe!
This recipe was taken from http://iowagirleats.com/2012/03/01/chick-fil-a-bites-with-honey-mustard-dipping-sauce/
2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup pickle juice
1 1/4 cups flour
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup peanut oil, divided (or canola or vegetable oil)
1. Whisk together egg, milk and pickle juice, and pour into a large ziplock bag or bowl. Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
2. Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag. Shake to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade and add into the bag. Shake to coat the chicken completely.
3. Heat half the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat (6 or 7 out of 10.) Test the oil by dropping in a bit of the flour mixture. If it sizzles, the oil is ready, if it pops, lower the temperature a bit.
4. Gently place chicken pieces into the oil with tongs. Do this in 2 batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Turn the chicken over and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Heat the remaining oil and continue with the other half of the chicken pieces.
5. Stir together the honey mustard dipping sauce ingredients, and serve with the hot chicken bites.
Recipe in pictures
The chicken marinading in the milk, pickle juice and egg mixture
The coating of the nuggets