So as you will see I’ve been in a huge asparagus kick recently! It’s interesting because prior to being pregnant I would hardly say I was a fan of asparagus but now I love it! I love just sticking it in the oven with some olive oil, lemon and sea salt but one night I wanted to incorporate asparagus into a meal. I found the penne with roasted asparagus and balsamic butter recipe and thought, why not try it? It was easy to make and I thought it tasted amazing. Warning: to appreciate this recipe you must really enjoy balsamic otherwise this recipe may not be for you. I also added some onion and green and red peppers to my meal since I needed to use them up. I think this meal would go great with a salad and glass of wine (if you drink wine).
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pound penne
- 1/4 pound butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Heat the oven to 400°. Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut the spears into 1-inch pieces. Put the asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with the oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer until 3 tablespoons remain. Stir in the brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with the butter, vinegar, asparagus, Parmesan, and the remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt. Serve with additional Parmesan.
To see variations of this recipe please visit http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/penne-with-roasted-asparagus-and-balsamic-butter
Recipe in pictures
Apparently I only took pictures of the finished product