If you haven’t guessed by now I love soup! My two favorite types of soup are Tortilla Soup and Loaded Baked Potato soup. Sadly I’ve never had much luck with baked potato soup but it hasn’t stopped me from trying to make it. When I found a baked potato soup that was done in the crock pot I was intrigued. I am a firm believer that it’s hard to screw up a recipe in a crock pot. This recipe turned out kinda disastrous for a number of reasons. Since I work full time I was afraid to leave my crock pot on low all day. I feared that the potatoes would get too soft so I left my crockpot on warm. Big mistake. When I got home my potatoes weren’t even semi-soft. Lesson learned, I can leave the crockpot on low all day and be fine. Mistake 2: I cut the original recipe in 1/2 since it was going to make way more than I could ever eat. Everything was going fine until I added the cream cheese. I should have stopped at 1 container of cream cheese but instead went for another 4 oz of cream cheese. These made my soup very thick. In a bowl it looks like a bowl of loaded mashed potatoes and less like a soup. I added some water and it seemed to help. I also added into the soup 5 strips of crumbled turkey bacon. The verdict is the soup still tastes great despite my few mistakes. I am very amateur when it comes to baked potato soup and tonight was a clear indicator of that. The soup still has a wonderful taste and is one of the best soups I’ve ever had. I would definitely make this recipe again but not add as much cream cheese and cook it on low all day so I could eat before 8:30. Hopefully in the future it will be even more amazing that it was this time around!
– 6 Russet Potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
– 1 large yellow onion, diced
– 6 cloves of garlic (you can use whole, crushed, or minced)
– 4 cups chicken stock
– 8 oz cream cheese
– 1 TBS seasoned salt or all-purpose seasoning (I use Aunt Cora’s Soulful Seasoning)
– Crumbled turkey bacon ( I mixed in the soup)
– Shredded cheddar cheese
– Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning and chicken stock to slow cooker.
– Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
– Remove and puree the garlic cloves (if you used whole cloves) along with 1/2 to 1/3rd of the soup, and then reintroduce to the remainder in the crock pot.
– Stir in the cream cheese and allow to melt. Stir every 10-15 minutes until soup is well blended.
– Top with your choice of garnishes & serve!
Recipe in pictures:
Potatoes cut up
All the ingredients in the crockpot
Finished Product (turned out kinda messy looking in the crockpot)
To see a more scrumptious version of this soup please visit http://www.mamalovesfood.com/2009/06/baked-potato-soup-slow-cooker-style.html
Happy Cooking! 🙂