So not to brag but I make a pretty good chicken tortilla soup. I’ve been making it for years and would like to think I’ve perfected the art of making this soup. As I’ve been going through recipes on my bookmarks I realized I had 5 different chicken tortilla soup recipes. I decided to switch it up and try one of these other recipes. I tried to pick one that was completely different than my version of tortilla soup. I really liked the recipe I picked out! It was thicker than usual and was packed with a lot more vegetables than what I typically use. It is a perfect soup recipe for the cold winter months!
I also have been wanting to make tortilla strips to go on top. Turns out it’s super easy and addicting to snack on! I’ve included the recipe to both the soup and the tortilla strips!
Ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno
- monterey jack cheese, grated
- corn tortilla strips
1. Slice the tortillas into thin strips sprinkle with salt and lime juice and place on baking sheet.
2. Bake at 250 degrees until crispy.
3. This will take about 30-40 minutes or so.
4. Saute onions and garlic in oil for about 4-5 minutes.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the cheese, and tortillas.
6. Simmer until the tortilla strips are ready.
7. Put some of the cheese into each bowl.
8. Pour soup over the cheese and top with the crispy tortilla strips.
See the recipe in its original form at http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-tortilla-soup-8564#ixzz1ftyb4Q7t